Monday, January 30, 2012

The 2012 POC Reading Challenge

Hi everyone!

I know we've kind of been quiet over the last couple of months about this challenge and whether it would continue or not. The three of us have seen this year become quite busy, and we questioned whether we would be able to continue hosting this challenge or not.

In order to keep the challenge alive, we've decided to scale it back a bit. We will no longer be giving away book prizes every month. We might give away a book every so often, but it won't be a regular thing here.

We'll continue to have book link-ups every month, and encourage everyone to visit each other's reviews of the books they've read that feature a person of color as a main character or that have been written by authors of color.

I (Katy) am going to try to continue doing what I've been doing here from the beginning--posting the link-ups and visiting reviews when I can. If you have any questions, please email or tweet me (my contact information is in the sidebar).

If anyone is interested in contributing a guest post here, I would absolutely welcome it! Guest posts should be related to the reading challenge--for example, reviews of books that qualify for the POC Reading Challenge and posts about issues that challenge participants would be interested in (cover whitewashing, challenges faced by authors of color, etc).

Here are the challenge details:
Any book (by any author) with a main character that is a person of color qualifies for this reading challenge, as well as any book written by an author of color. The goal is to encourage readers have a more diverse reading experience and to support diversity in the publishing industry by reading and reviewing books by or about persons of color.
Choose how many POC books you would like to read in 2012:
Level 1: Read 1-3 POC books
Level 2. Read 4-6 POC books
Level 3. Read 7-9 POC books
Level 4. Read 10-15 POC books
Level 5. Read 16-25 POC books
So if you'd like to participate in the 2012 POC Reading Challenge, please do sign up, and if you have a blog please spread the word by grabbing the button from the sidebar and posting about your participation. I'll start a new link-up for reviews on February 1.


21 comments:

  1. I'd like to sign up! I'll aim for 25 POC books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on adding this to my blog right now! I am going for Level 3 but I think I will do more. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering if audiobooks count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thank you for joining the challenge!

      Delete
  4. I'm in! Level 5 - all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does livejournal count? If not I can set up another blog.

    Anyways I like to start at level 1, and hopefully I'll increase the count :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, my name is Yajaira. For some reason, the site didn't let me comment in my LJ account.

      Delete
    2. Yeah--as long as you can link-up your post, it should work fine. :) Thanks for joining in!

      Delete
  6. Yes. Count me in for the 25 book challenge. Most of the books I am planning to read this year are by and about people of color. I just included 2 I recently reviewed this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Count me in! I'm signing up for level 5. Glad to hear this challenge is still going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh you ARE doing it - yay!! I'm glad I cyberbullied you guys into caving :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thank you for making us do something about it! :D

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for bringing back the link-ups, prizes or no! So glad to see this show up in my feedly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so exciting! Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read through your lists and picked 9 books for this year, I think this is a wonderful idea and I love how you do the link-ups too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific! I'm there for 25...I have my challenge page live now, but I'll be chatting about it at the end of February with my summary post. Looking forward to some good reading ...for all of us ...for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea - please sign me up for 25 books. (at least). Just checking, People of Color is international right? So includes Pacific islanders?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just signed up for (at least) one book per month!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great idea - I hope I'm not too late to sign up. If there's still time, I'd like to sign up for a book a month, starting in March... so, ten books total!

    ReplyDelete